With the end of a year come the inevitable peaks and valleys… Best movies / worst outfits, best restaurants / worst Hollywood breakups, best so on and so forth. As finger-on-the-pulse ad folk, we of course took note of Mashable’s Top 10 Brands on Social Media in 2013 , and there were very few surprises:
- Leading the charge was Samsung Mobile, gaining over 1 million Facebook fans, 4 million Twitter followers, and over 86 million YouTube views
- Walt Disney came in second with 1 million new fans on Chinese network “Sina Weibo”, and more than 2 million on Facebook, owing these to the release of the new Monster’s University
- National Geographic received 160 million views on YouTube for content aligning with its 125th anniversary
- Nike, as always, received high praise for integrating social media as a core of its campaigns, racking up almost 50 million views on YouTube content.
- Google gained 3 million new Facebook fans (putting it’s total fan base above 15 million) surrounding the launch of the new Google Glass
- Coca-Cola gained over 15 MILLION new fans on Facebook in addition to 58 million views on its YouTube channel surrounding the “Share a Coke” campaign.
- MTV gained 10 million new fans across Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, owed in part to the hype generated by the MTV Video Music Awards.
- Facebook was confirmed as the world’s most popular social media channel, and gained 16 million fans on its own page, making it the single most followed brand on Facebook
- Instagram has continued to grow in numbers after debuting their video capabilities, and gained 16 million new followers on its official profile.
- YouTube rose to the world’s 4th most popular social network, gaining over 3 million fans on Google + alone in 2013
If you’re just ITCHING to find out what helps brands like these succeed in social media and how they build followers / views and ultimately (hopefully) loyalty / engagement, check out these 7 insightful pieces of guidance by Fast Company in 7 Critical Mistakes You’re (Almost Certainly) Making on Social Media.
Or, alternatively, you can invest in twerking lessions. Here’s to many views, likes, follows, and retweets in 2014!