Certain smells evoke powerful memories. The smell of turkey roasting suddenly takes us back in time to a warm home with family and the promise of a full belly. Fragrant wood smoke hanging in the cold evening air, wet leaves, and the tantalizing scent of rich foods prepared with love draws our memories back to holiday togetherness with family, past and future.
We all have memories that remind us of special moments. Here are some of our favorite traditions, both old and new, that make the holidays unforgettable.
- Making Oreo turkeys for Thanksgiving called Oreokeys
- A huge and intense family Turkey Bowl (football game) before dinner finishing off the night with a game of charades
- Thanksgiving every year in the mountains with family enjoying skiing and midnight shopping at the Silverthorne Outlets
- Annual Turkey Trot benefiting Colorado United Way. This workout preps the family for all of the Thanksgiving food – with no regrets!
- Playing Bingo for gag gifts and random prizes on Thanksgiving after eating
- Making potato bologna from a Swedish recipe passed down through the generations
- Making lasagna around Thanksgiving in memory of loved ones
Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!